Right Sanctuary Windows

Looking towards the apse at the front of the church, the right sanctuary is located to the right of the main altar on the East 12th Street side of the building. Below the right sanctuary windows lies a small alcove with the statue of St. Joseph.

This window depicts the Coronation of Mary as Queen of Heaven. The image dates back to the 12th century, seen in Christian art especially in Italy during the 13th to 15th centuries.

The Roman Catholic tradition of crowning the Blessed Mother with a wreath of flowers takes place on or around May 1st, or often on Mother’s Day.

A great sign appeared in the sky, a woman clothed with the sun, with the moon under her feet, and on her head a crown of twelve stars.
Revelation 12:1


Christ Jesus, accompanied by God the Father, and the Holy Spirit in the form of a white dove, places a crown on the head of Mary as Queen of Heaven. The image is most resembled in a painting by Diego Velazquez (1599-1660), a Spanish painter who was the leading artist in the court of King Philip IV.

 

 

 

 

 


The right sanctuary also houses the St. Joseph statue, in an alcove surrounded by prayer candles. Three windows are situated in the alcove.

 

 

 

 

 

 


It is probable that this window depicts Joachim, the father of the Virgin Mary. He is holding two doves.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


This window lies directly behind the St. Joseph statue. It shows Mary as a young woman.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


This window depicts St. Anne, the mother of the Virgin Mary, with her daughter. St. Anne is typically recognized in Western iconography by her red robe and green mantle, often holding a book.